Yesterday, the SEC and DOL issued a press release announcing the agenda and naming the panelists for the June 18 joint hearings on target date funds. The hearings will be held at the headquarters of the Department of Labor, located at 200 Constitution Avenue, NW, in Washington, DC. The hearings will open at 9:00AM with remarks by SEC Chairman, Mary L. Schapiro and DOL Deputy Secretary Seth Harris, and include nine panels on a variety of topics, concluding at 5:30PM.
The hearings are open to the public on a first come, first served basis, and the hearings will be available via live webcast, available through links on the SEC and DOL websites.
The agenda and panelists are as follows:
9 a.m. — Opening Remarks
9:30 a.m. — Panel One: Introduction to Target Date Funds
10:20 a.m. — Panel Two: Target Date Fund Investor Considerations
- Karrie McMillan, Investment Company Institute
- Rich Whitney, T. Rowe Price Group, Inc.
- John Ameriks, Vanguard Group
- Derek L. Young, Fidelity Management & Research Company
- Jeffrey Knight, Putnam Investments
11:05 a.m. — Break
- Rod Bare, Morningstar, Inc.
- David Certner, AARP
- Joseph C. Nagengast, Target Date Analytics, LLC
- Marilyn Capelli Dimitroff, Certified Financial Planner Board of Standards, Inc.
11:20 a.m. — Panel Three: Exploration of Glide Paths and Underlying Investments
Noon — Panel Four: Plan Sponsor Considerations
- Edward Moslander, TIAA-CREF
- Seth J. Masters, AllianceBernstein L.P.
- Anne Lester, J.P. Morgan Asset Management
- Michael Case Smith, Avatar Associates
- Jeffrey S. Coons, Manning & Napier Advisors, Inc.
12:45 p.m. — Break
- Ian Kopelman, representing The Profit Sharing/401(k) Council of America
- Mark Wayne, representing National Association of Independent Retirement Plan Advisors
- Allison Klausner, representing American Benefits Council
- Jessica R. Flores, Fiduciary Compliance Center
1:30 p.m. — Panel Five: Utilization of Target Date Funds in Defined Contribution Plans
2:05 p.m. — Panel Six: Understanding, Selecting, and Monitoring Target Date Funds
- Jack VanDerhei, Employee Benefits Research Institute
- Mark J. Warshawsky, Watson Wyatt Worldwide
- Jodi DiCenzo, Behavioral Research Associates
2:50 p.m. — Break
- Josh Cohen, Russell Investments
- Richard O. Michaud, New Frontier Advisors, LLC
- Chip Castille, Barclays Global Investors
- Lori Lucas, Callan Associates Inc.
3:05 p.m. — Panel Seven: Understanding, Selecting, and Monitoring Target Date Funds
3:50 p.m. — Panel Eight: Disclosures related to Target Date Funds
- James P. Lauder, Global Index Advisors, Inc.
- Claiborne B. Morton III, Raymond James Financial Services
- Richard C. Dunne, QDIA.com
- Louis S. Harvey, DALBAR, Inc.
4:35 p.m. — Panel Nine: Target Date Funds and Other Investment Options
- Anne Tuttle, Financial Engines
- David A. Krasnow, Pension Advisors
- Randal McGathey, RM Consulting
- Edward P. Moore, Edelman Financial Services, LLC
5:20 p.m. — Closing Remarks
- Michael Drew, Griffith Business School
- Chris Tobe, Breidenbach Capital Consulting, LLC
- Ross Bremen, NEPC, LLC
- Mark Foley, Prudential Investment Management Services, LLC
The full text of the SEC's press release announcing the hearing agenda and panelists is available at: http://www.sec.gov/news/press/2009/2009-138.htm
- "SEC and DOL Seek Input on Target Date Funds," May 27, 2009
- "Joint SEC and DOL Hearings on Target Date Funds," May 14, 2009
- "Chairman Schapiro's First Address to the Fund Industry," May 4, 2009